The majority of the products listed in this guide are available at no charge to you through the Sladen Library’s institutional subscription, or are freely available to the medical community. For library resources, please follow the set-up instructions to ensure proper access.
Occasionally, a resource may charge a fee for the downloading of an app, or for adding additional features to a free app. The Sladen Library and Henry Ford Health System are not responsible for any charges you may incur when purchasing mobile device apps.
Click on the tabs along the top of the page to see the mobile resources in each category.
Attend a Mobile Training Session
Register to attend a mobile training session in the Sladen Library.
Library in Your Pocket - Mobile Library Resources
This session will introduce you to a number of the mobile resources that are available to you through the Sladen Library. The class will be taught using an iPad, but most content will be applicable to multiple mobile platforms. The session will cover:
• Authenticating mobile access for certain Sladen resources
• Introduction to the journal reading app BrowZine
• Free apps
Mobile Access for UpToDate Now Available
Good news for UpToDate users, this popular resource can now be accessed through a mobile app available for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows 8 smart phones and tablets.
This new version, called UpToDate Anywhere, allows full access to UpToDate.
The app is free, but to take advantage of UpToDate Anywhere, users must first register for an individual account with UpToDate. Initial registration must be done from a computer on the Henry Ford network or from a remote connection to Henry Ford.
With this account, UpToDate can then be accessed anywhere just by logging in with the registered user name and password. Besides enabling users to download the app to a mobile device, your account also enables you to accrue CME credits for reading UpToDate articles and to access UpToDate remotely from any computer.
Download the UpToDate Mobile App:
- To begin using the app, you must first register for individual account with UpToDate from a computer on the Henry Ford network or from a remote connection to Henry Ford. Directions for registering for an individual account through the Sladen website or through Epic
- Go to your respective app store and download the free UpToDate mobile app by searching for "UpToDate" (iTunes - Google Play - Windows Store)
- Use your UpToDate Username and Password created during the registration process to login to use the app.
- You may download and login to the UpToDate mobile app on up to two different devices.
30 Day Re-verification Required
In order to maintain mobile and off campus access to UpToDate, you will need to verify your continued Henry Ford affiliation. You can complete re-verification once every 30 days by:
- Using UpToDate via Epic at least once every 30 days. This will automatically re-verify your affiliation and you will not receive any re-verification messaging. This method requires no UpToDate login.
- Or, login to your UpToDate account from a computer or device connected to a Henry Ford network. This method does require you to login to UpToDate.
Note: Email messaging will inform you of the need to verify affiliation if you have not done so by day 25. You will receive a second alert at day 30. If you fail to re-verify by day 30, you will lose mobile and remote access. To regain access, please complete the re-verification process outlined above.
The following resources have recently been added to the LibGuide:
- Micromedex Free Drug Resource - Located under Drug Resources (3-31-2014)
- UpToDate Anywhere mobile app - Located under Clinical Resources "HFHS Access" (12-23-2013)
- AccessEmergency Medicine - Located under Clinical Resources "HFHS Access" (12-16-2013)
- AAD Psoriasis Guidelines - Located under Medical Specialties "Dermatology" (11-19-13)
- TouchSurgery - Located under Medical Specialties "Surgery" (11-13-13)
- Henry Ford Center for Cancer Surgery Mobile App - Located under For Patients "Cancer" (9-18-13)
- Micromedex IV Compatibility App - Located under Drug Resources (9-13-13)
Mobile Device Security
The security of your mobile device, especially when used in healthcare, is of utmost importance. Here are some simple safeguards to help ensure the security of your device and the data on it.
- Enable the auto-lock feature on your device
- Enable password protection
- Only connect to known, secure Wi-Fi networks
- Keep device software up to date
- Only buy apps from trusted sources (apps stores)
- Back-up your data regularly
- Don't use auto-complete functions that remember usernames and passwords
- Enable remote wipe incase your phone is lost or stolen
No Internet Required
Once downloaded, these apps can be used without an Internet connection. However, a wireless connection is required to periodically download updates and keep the information up-to-date!
- Calculate by QxMD
- First Consult
- Micromedex Drug Info