Attend a Mobile Training Session
Register to attend a Mobile Training Session at the Sladen Library. The training session will introduce you to mobile resources that are available to you for free through the Sladen Library and explain the set-up and authentication processes.
The next session will be held Friday, January 17 from 11:30am - 12:15pm. Visit the link below to register.
No Internet Required
Once downloaded, these apps can be used without an Internet connection. However, a wireless connection is required to periodically download updates and keep the information up-to-date!
- Calculate by QxMD
- First Consult
- Micromedex Drug Info
Do you know of or use a medical app or mobile website you think would be useful to others? Share the link with us! We will review the app for inclusion in this guide. We will give top consideration to apps that are free and from an authoritative source.
The majority of the products listed in this guide are available at no charge to you through the Sladen Library’s institutional subscription, or are freely available to the medical community. For library resources, please follow the set-up instructions to ensure proper access.
Occasionally, a resource may charge a fee for the downloading of an app, or for adding additional features to a free app. The Sladen Library and Henry Ford Health System are not responsible for any charges you may incur when purchasing mobile device apps.
Click on the tabs along the top of the page to see the mobile resources in each category.
The following resources have recently been added to the LibGuide:
- AAD Psoriasis Guidelines - Located under Medical Specialties "Dermatology" (11-19-13)
- TouchSurgery - Located under Medical Specialties "Surgery" (11-13-13)
- Henry Ford Center for Cancer Surgery Mobile App - Located under For Patients "Cancer" (9-18-13)
- Micromedex IV Compatibility App - Located under Drug Resources (9-13-13)
- Infant Endotracheal Intubation - Located under Medical Specialties "Anesthesiology" (7-11-13)
Download the New BrowZine Journal Reading App
Access the full-text of many of Sladen's journals in a format optimized for tablet reading. Now for iPad and Android tablets!
1) To begin using BrowZine, download the free BrowZine app from your respective device store. BrowZine is available for the iPad, and Android tablets including Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy, and Kindle Fire HD on the Ice Cream Sandwich platforms.
2) When initially launching BrowZine, select "Henry Ford Health System" from the "Choose Library" drop down list
3) Log-in with your HFHS Network User Name and Password
Features of BrowZine:
- PDFs of articles open directly within the app
- Create a bookshelf of your favorite journals for easy access • Built-in features for saving, emailing, and sharing articles
- Push notifications can alert you when a journal has new content
- Articles found in BrowZine can easily be synced up with Dropbox, iBooks, or several other services to help keep all of your information together in one place
Mobile Device Security
The security of your mobile device, especially when used in healthcare, is of utmost importance. Here are some simple safeguards to help ensure the security of your device and the data on it.
- Enable the auto-lock feature on your device
- Enable password protection
- Only connect to known, secure Wi-Fi networks
- Keep device software up to date
- Only buy apps from trusted sources (apps stores)
- Back-up your data regularly
- Don't use auto-complete functions that remember usernames and passwords
- Enable remote wipe incase your phone is lost or stolen